A Faery Kiss to Welcome You!

Welcome to Faery Dust...my little blog about all things fairy. Here I will collect fairy folklore, interesting links, and my own ramblings about fairy decks. I am excited about my new series of stories called The Rhiannon Academy of Fairies, which is free on my author blog. I hope you will check them out. So enter my Fairy-realm, relax a bit and sip some Fairy Tea, and may all your dreams and wishes come true!



Friday, March 13, 2009

The Green Woman

This was originally posted at Ginger's Journey on March 10, 2009

I find it a bit interesting that yesterday's focus was the Dark Lady and today's is the Green Woman...perhaps the universe is trying to tell me to focus on the beauty and strength of being female...hmmm...not sure but The Green Woman is also an archetype....however finding her counterparts throughout the world is proving to be slightly more difficult than the Dark Lady. But today I will share with you what I am discovering.

The words associated with the Green Woman are wildness, expectant gratitude, natural magic and untrammeled creativity. The Green Woman dances naked whereever she wants. She is unencumbered by what you think of her because she is confident in her worth because of her life and experiences. She shows us how to release the constraints of artificial rules and limitations. She reminds us of the power of growth and the importance of perserverance and patience. She symbolizes a time for developing talents and for self confidence. (The Faeries Oracle Text by Jessica Macbeth, copyright 2000) You can read more about the Faeries Oracle at World of Froud or Faery Wisdom.

As far as this particular archetype in other cultures...I am sure it exists...I will continue to look for this "woman" under different names but here are a few tidbits I have uncovered already.The Green Woman's image can be found in the stonework of ancient churches in England and France, and is viewed as the feminine face of nature. Also known as Sheela-Na-Gig she is often pictured entangled in vines and foliage. The Green Woman's "nature" encourages us to see ourselves despite self limiting perspectives we have taken on through the years. To read more about this view point of the Green Woman please check out Becoming the Green Woman. Perhaps this blogger says it best with her words...."The Green Woman is at once both an ancient archetype and a primal life force that is constantly creating and recreating herself through the cycles of birth, bloom and fermentation."

Some believe that The Green Woman is three in one. At the same time Mother, Maiden, and Crone. And there are many references to The Green Woman is relation to herbal healing. In fact I even discovered online courses related to this ancient art. There are many references to The Green Man and the Green Woman...more information seems available on the masculine image than the feminine.

In fairy folklore there were tree fairies called Green Ladies, that lived in the trees and were often offended if the trees were not treated with respect. Old sayings have it that before cutting a branch it was best to ask the fairies for permission.

So my focus today is to ponder the wild creative nature of growth...perhaps self growth. To recognize that I am what I am...and that is quite enough in and of itself. Seeking acceptance and positive regard is human nature.....but the Green Woman says to Dance and celebrate yourself for being who you are! ... Be self confident....experiences and life by the age of 51 must have taught me something of worth...just listen to it!

No comments: